The definition of continent has created great doubts among scientists and specialists and ends up creating problems in its counting. But do you want to end the doubts to know exactly how many continents there are in the world ? So nothing better than reading this article.
Number of continents on Earth
There are great doubts about the number of continents that exist on Earth. To begin with, there are, in fact, several questions about the very definition of what a continent is. Therefore, before even discovering how many continents exist on Planet Earth, it is better to find a definition that approximates the variations.
View Articles by Continent
Definition of continent
The ambiguity of the definition of continent continues to lead to major discussions. A continent can be seen as a piece of land surrounded by water on all sides, but unlike the islands it has an extensive territorial area and can therefore be traversed without passing through seas.
Scientifically, all land surfaces larger than Greenland, the largest island in the world, are designated continents.
In turn, the continents group a large number of countries and, in addition, they are a cluster of lands and archipelagoes. But then what are the points that lead to the ambiguity in the definition of the word continent ? In some definitions, only areas that are populated and that are favorable to the existence of man can be considered continents. There are three variables that impact the definition of continent.
Variables in the definition of continent
- Only populated areas are considered continents
- Consider Antarctica as a continent despite not being populated
- Consider Zealand, a submerged area, as a continent
If we look at the three variables, the planet Earth may have 5, 6 or 7 continents. There are those who consider other variables, such as the fact that Europe, Africa and Asia are not geographically separated and form a single continent, the Eurafrásia. But the truth is that they are quite separated, both culturally and politically, and even historically.
According to the first variable in the definition of continent, and taking into account the definition of continent of the United Nations (UN) and the International Olympic Committee, there are 5 continents on planet Earth. Let’s look at the main characteristics of each one and even the number of existing oceans that surround them.
Asia as a continent
- Area: 45 million km
- Estimated population: 4.5 billion inhabitants
- Surrounding oceans: Arctic glacier to the north, Pacific to the east and Indian to the south.
List of countries in Asia:
America as a continent
- Area: 42 million km (in North America there are about 23 million km; in Central America 523 thousand km; and in South America about 18 million km)
- Estimated population: 953.7 million
- Surrounding oceans: Pacific in the west, Atlantic in the east, Arctic glacier in the north and Antarctic glacier in the south.
Africa as a continent
- Area: 30 million km
- Estimated population: 1.2 billion (see Countryaah)
- Surrounding oceans: Atlantic to the west, Indian to the east and Glacier Antarctica to the south
List of countries in Africa:
Europe as a continent
- Area: 10 million km
- Population: 742.5 million
- Surrounding oceans: Atlantic to the west and Arctic Glacier to the north
List of countries in Europe:
Oceania as a continent
- Area: 8 million km
- Population: 37.1 million
- Surrounding oceans: Pacific to the east and north, Indian to the west and Antarctic Glacier to the south.
List of countries in Oceania:
Other continents to consider on planet Earth
In reality, the UN classification leaves out two other continents. One of them, although submerged, is equal to or larger than Australia. The other is the continent, but because it is not inhabited, it is not considered by the organization.
The Antarctic continent can be considered since it is not only composed of ice, but the ground covered with ice. The Arctic Pole is not a continent because it is composed only of large surfaces of ice. The area of Antarctica is 14 million km.
Although it does not have a population, it receives scientists from several countries every year. Currently, there are 30 countries that have bases on this continent. The Antarctic is not officially recognized as a continent because it is not inhabited. Although considering it as a continent is geologically correct.
Finally, we can highlight the last continent discovered which is Zealand. Despite being submerged, off the coast of New Zealand, it cannot be effectively considered as a continent (about 93% to 95% is submerged).
It would be a continent that separated from Australia about 60 to 95 million years ago.
The 50 countries with the lowest gold and currency reserves on earth
|Rank||Country||Gold and currency reserves ($)|
|4||Haiti (North America)||123,000,000|
|7||Cape Verde (Africa)||183,000,000|
|10||Guyana (South America)||274,000,000|
|26||Papua New Guinea (Australia-Oceania)||873,000,000|
|27||Nicaragua (North America)||894,000,000|
|28||Burkina Faso (Africa)||1,043,000,000|
|34||Panama (North America)||1,349,000,000|
|35||Ivory Coast (Africa)||1,360,000,000|
|37||Paraguay (South America)||1,418,000,000|
|45||El Salvador (North America)||1,788,000,000|
|46||Bolivia (South America)||2,034,000,000|
|48||Costa Rica (North America)||2,184,000,000|
|49||Tanzania, United Republic of (Africa)||2,234,000,000|
|Currency reserves are the funds held by a central bank on the assets side in foreign currency, precious metals, special drawing rights and reserve positions in the International Monetary Fund for currency market interventions and for financing foreign trade deficits. They consist of gold, foreign exchange, special drawing rights and reserve positions in the International Monetary Fund.|
- Mccomb, Mississippi September 25, 2023 - According to phonejust, McComb is a city in Pike County, Mississippi, with a population of approximately 13,000 residents. Situated in the southern part of the state, McComb is known for its rich history, diverse culture,… Continue Reading
- Elbow Lake, Minnesota September 22, 2023 - According to polyhobbies, Elbow Lake is a small city located in Grant County, Minnesota. Situated in the west-central part of the state, Elbow Lake covers an area of approximately 2.5 square miles. The city is… Continue Reading
- Eitzen, Minnesota September 15, 2023 - According to howsmb, Eitzen, Minnesota is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. Nestled in Houston County, it is situated on the border between Minnesota and Iowa, with the Root River… Continue Reading
- Mc Neill, Mississippi September 12, 2023 - According to citypopulationreview, McNeill, Mississippi is a small unincorporated community located in Pearl River County. Situated in the southern part of the state, McNeill is surrounded by picturesque landscapes and offers a charming rural setting.… Continue Reading
- Effie, Minnesota September 8, 2023 - According to healthknowing, Effie, Minnesota is a small town located in Itasca County, in the northern part of the state. Situated in the heart of the Northwoods, Effie is surrounded by natural beauty and offers… Continue Reading
- Eagle Lake, Minnesota September 1, 2023 - According to gradphysics, Eagle Lake, Minnesota is a small city located in Blue Earth County. Situated in the southern part of the state, it is approximately 10 miles east of Mankato, the county seat. The… Continue Reading
- Delavan, Minnesota August 25, 2023 - According to gradinmath, Delavan, Minnesota is a small town located in Faribault County in the southern part of the state. Situated in the heart of the Midwest, Delavan is characterized by its rolling prairies, fertile… Continue Reading
- Delano, Minnesota August 18, 2023 - According to ezhoushan, Delano, Minnesota is a charming city located in Wright County, about 30 miles west of Minneapolis. Nestled along the banks of the Crow River, Delano offers residents and visitors a picturesque landscape… Continue Reading
- Deerwood, Minnesota August 11, 2023 - According to foodanddrinkjournal, Deerwood, Minnesota is a small town located in the heart of Crow Wing County. Nestled amidst scenic landscapes and picturesque surroundings, Deerwood is known for its natural beauty and charming atmosphere. Situated… Continue Reading
- Deer River, Minnesota August 4, 2023 - According to electronicsencyclopedia, Deer River, Minnesota is a small town located in Itasca County in the northern part of the state. Nestled amidst the scenic beauty of the North Woods, Deer River is known for… Continue Reading