According to allcitycodes, Spearman, Texas is a small city in the Texas Panhandle, located in Hansford County. It is situated on the rolling plains at the intersection of U.S. Highway 83 and State Highway 15. The area has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cool winters. In terms of history, Spearman was established in 1889 when the railroad was built through the area and named for John J. Spearman, a local rancher who donated land for a railroad station. The town has remained relatively small, but it has been an important hub for agricultural activity throughout its history.
The economy of Spearman is primarily based on agriculture and ranching, with wheat being one of the major crops grown in the area. There are also several businesses located in town that serve locals and visitors alike. Politics in Spearman are mainly conservative with most residents voting Republican in elections; however, there is also strong support for independent candidates as well as third-party candidates from time to time.
Spearman is served by two public schools: Spearman High School and Spearman Elementary School. Both schools offer a range of educational opportunities including art classes, band classes, sports teams, and student clubs and organizations to help students become well-rounded citizens after they graduate high school. There are also several private schools located nearby if parents prefer to send their children to an alternative education option outside of public school systems.
Some of the landmarks around Spearman include historic buildings like the Courthouse Square Historic District which includes many old buildings dating back to the early 1900s; an old windmill that was built by local ranchers; various churches; and several museums like Hansford County Historical Society Museum which offers exhibits about local history as well as artifacts from all over Texas Panhandle region.
Population: 3,021. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,924 (-3.2% change)
Males: 1,445 (47.8%), Females: 1,576 (52.2%)
Zip code: 79081
Median resident age: 36.6 years
Median household income: $36,163
Median house value: $43,600
Races in Spearman:
- White Non-Hispanic (66.5%)
- Hispanic (32.1%)
- Other race (17.7%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (14.8%), German (8.5%), English (6.8%), Irish (5.2%), Dutch (1.6%), French (1.4%).
Elevation: 3105 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Spearman, Texas is a small town located in Hansford County. It has a population of approximately 2,000 people and is the county seat. The people living in Spearman are mostly of white, non-Hispanic origin. The largest age group is between 25 and 44 years old, making up almost half of the population. The median age of the town is 40 years old. Additionally, around 15% of Spearman’s population identifies as Hispanic or Latino.
The economy in Spearman is largely agricultural in nature. There are numerous farms and ranches that can be found in the area, with many residents employed within this industry. In addition to farming, there are several businesses located within the town limits that provide services to those living nearby. These include banks, gas stations, convenience stores and restaurants. Many residents are also employed by the local school district or other government organizations such as the county courthouse or sheriff’s office. Additionally, there are a few manufacturing plants located just outside Spearman that employ many people from the area as well as from neighboring towns and counties.
For population 25 years and over in Spearman
- High school or higher: 70.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Spearman city
- Never married: 16.1%
- Now married: 65.3%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 5.9%
14.1% Foreign born (13.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -184 (-5.7%).
Hospital/medical center in Spearman:
- HANSFORD HOSPITAL (707 S ROLAND)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Spearman:
- OCHILTREE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; PERRYTON, TX)
- GOLDEN PLAINS COMM HOSP (about 40 miles; BORGER, TX)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL OF TEXAS COUNTY (about 43 miles; GUYMON, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Spearman:
- LIBERAL MUNI (about 61 miles; LIBERAL, KS; Abbreviation: LBL)
- AMARILLO INTL (about 76 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Abbreviation: AMA)
- GARDEN CITY REGIONAL (about 123 miles; GARDEN CITY, KS; Abbreviation: GCK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Spearman:
- SPEARMAN MUNICIPAL (about 2 miles; SPEARMAN, TX; Abbreviation: E42)
- GRUVER MUNI (about 16 miles; GRUVER, TX; Abbreviation: E19)
- CLUCK RANCH (about 34 miles; GRUVER, TX; Abbreviation: 2E3)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Spearman:
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 85 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 98 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 143 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 178 miles; WEATHERFORD, OK; Full-time enrollment: 4,360)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 183 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 197 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 204 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
Public high school in Spearman:
- SPEARMAN H S (Students: 217; Location: 403 E 11TH AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Spearman:
- GUS BIRDWELL EL (Students: 376; Location: 511 S TOWNSEND ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- SPEARMAN J H (Students: 163; Location: 505 S TOWNSEND ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Spearman:
- HANSFORD COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $90,164; Location: 122 MAIN ST; 21,992 books; 572 audio materials; 388 video materials; 30 serial subscriptions)