Ewing, Missouri is a small town nestled in the heart of Missouri. The population of Ewing is estimated to be around 1,000 people. The town is located on the southwestern side of the state, near the Arkansas border and is surrounded by rolling hills and lush forests. The climate in Ewing is moderate with warm summers and mild winters. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Missouri.
The history of Ewing dates back to 1822 when it was first settled by settlers coming from Kentucky and Tennessee. Over the years, many other settlers moved to the area and Ewing eventually became a thriving farming community. The town was officially incorporated in 1867.
Politically, Ewing has been a Democratic stronghold for many years with most residents voting for Democratic candidates at both local and national levels.
The economy of Ewing is based primarily on agriculture with most residents being employed in farming or related industries such as food processing or retail sales. Tourism has also become an important part of the local economy as well in recent years due to its proximity to popular destinations such as Branson and Table Rock Lake.
The school system in Ewing consists of one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school which are all part of the Ozark School District. All three schools have achieved high marks on state standardized tests indicating that students receive quality education here.
Some landmarks that visitors may want to check out include historic downtown buildings such as the old post office building which was built in 1887 along with other historic structures like churches, stores, homes and barns which date back over 100 years ago. Additionally there are several parks including Pinnell Park which features a walking trail that winds through a picturesque forest setting along with picnic areas and playgrounds ideal for families looking for a relaxing day outdoors.
Population: 464. Estimated population in July 2020: 453 (-2.4% change)
Males: 233 (50.2%), Females: 231 (49.8%)
Zip code: 63440
Median resident age: 38.9 years
Median household income: $30,000
Median house value: $52,300
Races in Ewing:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.1%)
Ancestries: German (31.5%), English (11.2%), United States (9.7%), Irish (7.5%), Dutch (2.2%), French (1.5%).
Elevation: 690 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Ewing, Missouri is a small town with a population of just over 1,000 people. The majority of the population is made up of white non-Hispanics, with a small percentage of African American and Hispanic residents. The median household income for Ewing is $37,283 and the median age of the town’s residents is 43 years old. The cost of living in Ewing is relatively low compared to other towns in Missouri. Housing costs are very reasonable, with an average home price being around $95,000. Utilities are also quite affordable and transportation costs are minimal due to the town’s small size. Groceries and other necessities are also reasonably priced in this rural community. Overall, it’s easy to see why many families choose to call Ewing home due to its affordability and tight-knit community feel.
For population 25 years and over in Ewing
- High school or higher: 80.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ewing city
- Never married: 16.4%
- Now married: 63.2%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 12.3%
- Divorced: 7.2%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1 (+0.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ewing:
- BLESSING HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; QUINCY, IL)
- HANNIBAL REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; HANNIBAL, MO)
- KEOKUK AREA HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; KEOKUK, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ewing:
- QUINCY REGIONAL-BALDWIN FIELD (about 38 miles; QUINCY, IL; Abbreviation: UIN)
- KIRKSVILLE REGIONAL (about 57 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: IRK)
- SOUTHEAST IOWA REGIONAL (about 67 miles; BURLINGTON, IA; Abbreviation: BRL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ewing:
- LEWIS COUNTY REGIONAL (about 9 miles; MONTICELLO, MO; Abbreviation: 6M6)
- MONROE CITY REGIONAL (about 26 miles; MONROE CITY, MO; Abbreviation: K52)
- SHELBY COUNTY (about 27 miles; SHELBYVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: 6K2)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ewing:
- TRUMAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 62 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,922)
- WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (about 79 miles; MACOMB, IL; Full-time enrollment: 11,096)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA (about 81 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 21,444)
- COLUMBIA COLLEGE (about 81 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,892)
- INDIAN HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 86 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,744)
- LINCOLN UNIVERSITY (about 108 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,580)
- ST CHARLES COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 114 miles; ST PETERS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,301)
Public high school in Ewing:
- HIGHLAND JR.-SR. HIGH (Students: 460; Location: HWY 6; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Ewing:
- HIGHLAND ELEM. (Students: 288; Location: COUNTY RD 524; Grades: 03 – 06)
- EWING ELEM. (Students: 278; Location: 105 N CLARK; Grades: PK – 02)