East Lynne is a small city located in Cass County, Missouri. With a population of around 1,400, it is one of the smallest cities in the state. Geographically, East Lynne is situated within the rolling hills of the Ozarks and lies between Kansas City and Springfield. The climate is generally mild with four distinct seasons; summers are hot and humid while winters can be cold with occasional snowfall.
The city has a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1854. During the Civil War, East Lynne served as an important stop on the Underground Railroad for escaped slaves heading north to freedom. Politically, East Lynne is a staunchly conservative town that leans heavily towards Republican candidates in elections.
The economy of East Lynne has traditionally been agricultural-based; however, in recent years there have been efforts to diversify it through new businesses and industries. Schools in East Lynne are provided by the Cass County R-V School District which includes five elementary schools and one middle school for grades 6-8.
Notable landmarks include the East Lynne Historical Museum which showcases artifacts from throughout its history as well as an old-fashioned general store with memorabilia from bygone days. Other sites include several churches dating back to before the Civil War era and scenic hiking trails through nearby forests offering breathtaking views of nature’s beauty.
Population: 300. Estimated population in July 2020: 312 (+4.0% change)
Males: 151 (50.3%), Females: 149 (49.7%)
Zip code: 64743
Median resident age: 34.5 years
Median household income: $38,472
Median house value: $55,800
Races in East Lynne:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.0%)
- American Indian (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.0%), German (17.7%), English (14.0%), United States (8.7%), Welsh (3.3%), French (2.7%).
Elevation: 855 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
East Lynne, Missouri is a small, rural town located in Cass County. With a population of just over 800, it is a quiet community that offers small-town charm and an easy-going lifestyle. The median household income is around $40,000 and the cost of living is relatively low. Housing costs are especially low compared to the national average; the median home value in East Lynne is around $90,000. In terms of entertainment and amenities, there are several local restaurants, bars and stores that cater to the needs of residents. The community also hosts annual events such as the Fourth of July parade and the Labor Day BBQ cookoff. Additionally, there are nearby parks for outdoor recreation and plenty of opportunities to explore nature in nearby forests and lakes. Overall, East Lynne provides an affordable place to live with plenty of activities for people looking for a relaxed atmosphere away from the hustle and bustle of larger cities.
For population 25 years and over in East Lynne
- High school or higher: 76.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 38.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in East Lynne city
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 58.2%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 13.2%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +9 (+3.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near East Lynne:
- CASS MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; HARRISONVILLE, MO)
- LEES SUMMIT HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; LEES SUMMIT, MO)
- TRUMAN MEDICAL CENTER LAKEWOOD (about 24 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to East Lynne:
- CHARLES B. WHEELER DOWNTOWN (about 40 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MKC)
- KANSAS CITY INTL (about 54 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MCI)
- ROSECRANS MEMORIAL (about 89 miles; ST JOSEPH, MO; Abbreviation: STJ)
Other public-use airports nearest to East Lynne:
- LAWRENCE SMITH MEMORIAL (about 9 miles; HARRISONVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: LRY)
- LEE’S SUMMIT MUNICIPAL (about 22 miles; LEE’S SUMMIT, MO; Abbreviation: LXT)
- EAST KANSAS CITY (about 23 miles; GRAIN VALLEY, MO; Abbreviation: 3GV)
Amtrak station near East Lynne:
- 20 miles: LEE’S SUMMIT (220 S. MAIN ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Missouri graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to East Lynne:
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; LEES SUMMIT, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,576)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 32 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY (about 35 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,830)
- CENTRAL MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; Warrensburg, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,957)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGES (about 37 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,259)
- JOHNSON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 38 miles; OVERLAND PARK, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,857)
- UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER (about 47 miles; KANSAS CITY, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,168)
Public primary/middle school in East Lynne:
- EAST LYNNE ELEM. (Students: 204; Location: 24706 S STATE RTE K; Grades: PK – 08)