According to physicscat, the Mayor’s Office has coordination powers over the five autonomous municipalities, governed in turn by the municipal mayors. In each municipality, the internal legislative power is exercised by each Municipal Council, with its respective powers in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution and laws of the Republic.
- Baruta: (312,354 residents) is the southernmost municipality of the city. Most of its population belongs to the middle class and upper class, with only 3% of informal settlements. Commerce is of great importance in the municipality, being the headquarters of different national and international companies, such as Procter & Gamble, which has its Latin American headquarters in Baruta. The gastronomy, entertainment and nightlife in commercial areas such as Las Mercedes, is also widely known in the city. Its current mayor is Gerardo Blyde, from the Un Nuevo Tiempo party.
- Chacao: (71,393 residents) located north of the city, it is the smallest and densest municipality in the metropolitan area. It is the geographical center of the city and is considered one of the wealthiest municipalities in the country, where a large part of the ministries, private companies and national and foreign banks that operate in Venezuela It also houses most of the foreign diplomatic representations accredited in the nation, as well as the widest network of hotels and shopping centers in the city. Its population is predominantly upper-middle and upper class and it is the least poor municipality in the country. Its current mayor is the opposition leader Emilio Graterón.
- El Hatillo: (68,510 residents) located in the extreme southeast, it is the least populated and dense municipality of the city. El Hatillo is a dormitory municipality and merely residential, so that a large part of its population works in the other municipalities of Caracas, most of its residents belong to the middle and upper strata of society. Commerce, tourism and even agriculture in its rural areas constitute the most important economic activities within the municipality. Its current mayor is Myriam Do Nascimento, from the Democratic Action party.
- Libertador: (2,097,350 residents) occupies the entire west of the city, it is the most populated municipality in the country, the largest in the city and the only one belonging to the Capital District. Headquarters of the five public powers of the nation, as well as most of the ministries, official institutions and other agencies of the Venezuelan state. Commerce, and to a lesser extent industry, are of great importance to its economy, many of the country’s public and private companies also have their headquarters there. According to the Institute of Cultural Heritage, Libertador is the municipality with the highest concentration of heritage in the nation, it has important parks, museums, squares and historical areas. Most of its population is divided between the middle and lower-middle class, since in a vast portion of its surface marginal communities have historically formed, especially to its western and southern extremes. Its current mayor is Jorge Rodríguez, from the PSUV.
- Sucre: (646,346 residents) is the easternmost municipality of the city. Commercial and industrial activities are the main source of its economy. Its population is predominantly middle and lower-middle class in some sectors, while others are popular neighborhoods such as Petare, Filas de Mariche and La Dolorita. In its jurisdiction is also the largest urban park in the city, Parque Miranda, popularly known as Parque del Este. Its current mayor is Carlos Ocaríz, from the Primero Justicia party.
Sectors of the city
|Sectors of Caracas|
|Northwest||Catia • January 23 • Propatria • Lomas de Urdaneta • Casalta El Atlántico • Caño Amarillo • Los Magallanes de Catia • Alta Vista • Ruperto Lugo • Lídice • Gramoven • Asylum|
|Historic helmet||El Silencio • Capitol • La Hoyada • Altagracia • La Pastora • San José ; Listed • Quinta Crespo • Guaicaipuro • La Candelaria • San Juan • Santa Teresa • Santa Rosalía|
|Southwest||San Martín • Artigas • Vista Alegre • Bella Vista • Hills of Vista Alegre • La Yaguara • Industrial Zone of La Yaguara • El Algodonal • Carapa • Antímano • Washington • Las Fuentes • El Paraíso • El Pinar • Loira • La Paz • Montalbán • Juan Pablo II • La Vega • Las Adjuntas • Caricuao • Mamera|
|Center||El Conde • Central Park • San Agustín del Sur • San Agustín del Norte • Simón Rodríguez • Maripérez • La Colina • Las Palmas • Las Lomas • San Rafael • Los Caobos • Quebrada Honda • San Bernardino • La Campiña • Florida • Alta Florida • Chapellín • Los Cedros • The Forest • Chacaíto • Sabana Grande • Bello Monte|
|South||Cemetery • Los Carmenes • Los Castaños • Prado de María • La Bandera • Las Acacias • Colinas de las Acacias • Los Rosales • Valle Abajo • Los Chaguaramos • University City • Santa Mónica • Colinas de Santa Mónica • Colinas de Bello Monte • Cumbres de Curumo • El Valle • The Gardens of El Valle • Car • Delgado Chalbaud • La Rinconada|
|Center-East||Country Club • El Pedregal • San Marino • Campo Alegre • Chacao • Bello Campo • El Rosal • El Retiro • Las Mercedes • Tamanaco • Chuao • Altamira • Los Palos Grandes • La Castellana • La Floresta • Santa Eduvigis • Sebucán • La Carlota • Santa Cecilia • Campo Claro • Los Ruices • Montecristio • Los Chorros • Los Dos Caminos|
|Northeast||Boleíta • Los Cortijos • La California • Horizonte • Terrazas del Ávila • El Marqués • La Urbina • Macaracuay • La Guairita • Caurimare • El Cafetal • San Román • Santa Rosa • San Luis • Santa Sofía • Santa Paula • Santa Inés • Los Pomelos • Palo Verde • Lomas del Ávila • Miranda Urbanization • Petare|
|Southeastern||Valle Arriba • Santa Fe • Los Campitos • Prados del Este • Alto Prado • Manzanares • El Peñón • Baruta • Piedra Azul • La Trinidad • La Tahona • La Bonita • Monterrey • Las Minas • Cerro Verde • Los Naranjos • El Cigarral • La Boyera • Los Pinos • La Cabaña • Alto Hatillo • El Hatillo • Los Geranios • La Lagunita • El Placer • El Guayabao • The Volcano • La Unión • Sartanejas|